Sunday 30 June 2013

Surrender to the will of my Beloved....by Rumi

One day I feel confused and down, 
the next I can reach the sky 
without you I am never calm. 

In your absence people ridicule me, 
but when you come 
I don't mind what they think or say. 

I refuse to feast or be merry without my Beloved. 
However he appears I will follow.

If he comes as a cupbearer, I'll become one too;
if he comes as an ascetic, I'll become a pious pilgrim.

If he pretends to be a madman, I'll become a perfect fool;
if he tries to escape, I will become a mighty hunter.

Yet, when I complain about my sleepless nights
He mocks me and says I do not pray enough,
when I ask him for a favor he sends me off.

What am I to do but to surrender
to the will of my Beloved.

~ Rumi 
Translation by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi
"Rumi: Hidden Music"
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment