Friday, 24 July 2026

 Do Not Run Away from Me

Do not run away from me!
Did I not tell you, in this empty fantasy,
even if for centuries you wander angrily,
you will never find another true companion like me.
You may cross a thousand deserts,
following caravans beneath unfamiliar stars;
yet every road beneath your restless feet
will quietly curve back toward my heart.
You may drink from distant fountains,
seeking sweetness in every passing face;
but the thirst that carries my name
will remain untouched within you.
Do not mistake separation for freedom.
A bird may escape from its cage,
yet still circle the house
where it first learned how to sing.
I have not loved you with ordinary love—
the kind that flowers in spring
and disappears when winter
lays its cold hand upon the garden.
I loved you before the first dawn
opened its golden eyes;
before the moon learned
to follow the longing sea.
Be angry, then.
Scatter my letters into the wind.
The wind itself is my messenger;
it will whisper every word back to you.
Hide behind silence,
behind distance, behind pride—
but how will you hide from the One
who lives inside your breathing?
When the night grows endless
and no lamp remains beside you,
close your eyes:
you will find me burning there.
I am not asking you to return
with apologies or explanations.
Love keeps no account
of who departed and who remained.
Come as rain comes to the earth—
without shame for having wandered.
Come as the river comes to the sea—
empty of every name but surrender.
And should you travel for centuries,
through every kingdom of this world,
your final step will bring you here—
where I have always waited within you.
~ Rumi
1st Stranga is by Rumi additions and editing in poem by Andy Lal
See less

No comments:

Post a Comment