Sunday 27 November 2011

We should turn to the source....by Rumi

Thirst is angry with water. 
Hunger bitter with bread.

The cave wants nothing 
to do with the sun. 
This is dumb,
the self- defeating way we've been.

A gold mine is calling us into its temple.
Instead, we bend
and keep picking up rocks
from the ground.

Every thing has a shine like gold,
but we should turn to the source!

The origin is what we truly are.
I add a little vinegar to the honey I give.

The bite of scolding makes ecstasy more familiar.

But look, fish, you're already in the ocean:
just swimming there
makes you friends with glory.

What are these grudges about?
You are Benjamin.
Joseph has put a gold cup in your grain sack
and accused you of being a thief.

Now he draws you aside and says,
'You are my dear.
I am a prayer. You're the amen.'

We move in eternal regions, yet
worry about property here.

This is the prayer of each:

You are the source of my life.
You separate essence from mud.

You honor my soul. You bring rivers from the
mountain springs. You brighten my eyes.

The wine you offer
takes me out of myself
into the self we share.
Doing that is religion.

~ Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment