Friday 21 March 2014

Could you Embrace that ?.....by St Thomas Aquinas

I said to God, ‘Let me love you.’
And he replied, ‘Which part?’
‘All of you, all of you.’ I said.

‘Dear’ God spoke,
‘You are as a mouse 
wanting to impregnate a tiger
who is not even in heat.

It is a feat way
beyond your courage and strength.

You would run from me
if I removed my
mask.’

I said to God again,
‘Beloved I need to love you – every aspect, every pore.’

And this time God said,
‘There is a hideous blemish on my body,
though it is such an infinitesimal part of my Being
could you kiss that if it were revealed?’
‘I will try, Lord, I will try.’

And then God said,
‘That blemish is all the hatred and
cruelty in this
world.’

~ St Thomas Aquinas
( Could you Embrace that ? )
From Love Poems from God, by Daniel Ladinsky
Art by Tracie Kaska

No comments:

Post a Comment