Tuesday 25 September 2012

If the Friend rose inside you, would you bow ?...by Rumi

If the Friend rose inside you, 
would you bow ?

Would you wonder where that one 
came from and how? 

If you say,
"I will bow," that's important.

If you answer,
"But can I be sure?"
it will keep the meeting from happening,

As busy people rush there and back here murmuring,
Now I know; no, I don't know now.

Have you seen a camel with its eyes covered turn
and walk one way, then turn another?

Be silent and revolve with no will.
Don't raise your hand to ask anything.

Holy one, sitting in the body's well
like Joseph, a rope is there in front of you.

Lift your hand to that!
A blind man has bought you
for eighteen counterfeit coins.

Empty metal cups bang together,
and the full moon slides out of hiding.

Make one sound, please!
You are the precious hyacinth
that the sickle will spare,
not the wheat plant Adam ate.

I remind you with these poems
to dress in the flower of Beloved's qualities,
not your torn robe of self-accusation.

~ Rumi
Ghazal (Ode) 2938
Version by Coleman Barks, with Nevit Ergin
"The Glance"
Viking-Penguin, 1999
Art by Jamie Hartley

1 comment:


  1. I promise you
    From the bottom of my heart
    I will love you until death do us part ♥

    I promise you
    As a lover and a friend
    I will love you like I'll never love again
    With everything I am ♥

    I see you look at me
    When you think I'm not aware
    You're searching for clues
    Of just how deep my feelings are
    How do you prove the sky is blue
    The ocean's wide
    All I know is what I feel
    When I look into you ♥

    ReplyDelete