Saturday 17 December 2011

If you bake bread with the wheat...by Rumi

If you bake bread with the wheat
that grows on my grave
you’ll become drunk with joy and
even the oven will recite ecstatic poems.

If you come to pay your respects
even my gravestone will invite you to dance
so don’t come without your drum.

Don’t be sad.
You have come to Gods feast.
Even death cannot stop my yearning
for the sweet kiss of my love.

Tear my shroud and wear it as a shirt,
the door will open and you’ll hear
the music of your soul fill the air.

I am created from the ecstasy of love and
when I die, my essence will be released
like the scent of crushed rose petals.

My soul wants to leap and join
the towering soul of Beloved (Shams).

~ Rumi
– Ghazal (Ode) 683
Translated by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi
“Rumi: Hidden Music”
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment