Friday 8 July 2011

The hearts all seek the Beloved...by Rumi

The spirits seek vision,
the hearts all seek the Beloved;

You in whose broad orchard
four streams are let flow --
one stream pure water, another honey,
the third fresh milk,
the fourth your ruby wine.

You never give me a chance,
you are giving wine upon wine;
where is the head,
that I may describe
the drinking-cup of your wine?

Yet who am I?
Heaven itself in the round of this heavy bumper
finds not a moment's peace
from your love and the craving for you.

Moon of silver girdle,
you have experience of love;
heaven, loverhood 

is apparent in your features.

When love is yoked to the heart
it wearies of the heart's chatter;
heart, be silent!
How long this striving and inquiring of yours?

The heart said,
"I am His reed pipe, I wail as the breath inn me."
I said,
"Be lamenting now, the slave of whose passion is the soul."

We have opened your door;
do not desert your companions;
in thankfulness for an all-embracing love
which has seized you from head to toe.

~ Rumi
Photo by Belle 

from Mystical Poems of Rumi: Volume 2, Translated by A. J. Arberry

No comments:

Post a Comment