Sunday 17 July 2011

Why do you whisper so faintly in my ears, O Death, my Death?..by Rabindranath Tagore

Why do you whisper so faintly in my ears,
O Death, 
my Death?

When the flowers droop in the evening
and cattle come back to their stalls,
you stealthily come to my side and speak words
that I do not understand.

Is this how you must woo and win me
with the opiate of drowsy murmur
and cold kisses, O Death, my Death?

Will there be no proud ceremony for our wedding?
Will you not tie up with a wreath your tawny coiled locks?

Is there none to carry your banner before you,
and will not the night be on fire
with your red torch-lights, O Death, my Death?

Come with your conch-shells sounding,
come in the sleepless night.

Dress me with a crimson mantle,
grasp my hand and take me.

Let your chariot be ready at my door
with your horses neighing impatiently.

Raise my veil and look at my face proudly,
O Death, my Death!

~ Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment